:: [devuan-dev] bug#828: bug#828: devu…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Lorenzo
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: David Haworth
Kopio: 828, devuan developers internal list, Devuan Bug Tracking System
Aihe: [devuan-dev] bug#828: bug#828: devuan-project: After an upgrade (apt update; apt full-upgrade) the PC fails to reboot correctly.
On Fri, 05 Jan 2024 12:58:15 +0100
David Haworth <dh@???> wrote:

> Package: devuan-project
> Severity: grave
> Justification: renders package unusable
>
> Dear Maintainer,
>
> Yesterday I updated my OS in order to install AusweisApp2.
> On the first attempt I got some errors from the update command, but
> they seemed to be related to source packages. The second attempt
> appeared to succeed, and AusweisApp2 worked as expected.
>
> Today, after shutdown/reboot, there were lots of error messages. The
> switch to high-resolution text display failed, no display manager
> started and I was dumped into an 80x25 text screen, from which I
> could log in.
>
> From the error messages that flashed past, I was able to determine a
> few problems:
>
> * One of the init scripts fails because it cannot find /sbin/modprobe.
> ** modprobe appears to be in /usr/sbin now.
> ** As a workaround, I created a symlink: ln -s /usr/bin/kmod
> /sbin/modprobe
> * Similar failures for depmod and modinfo, similar symlinks created.
>
> * After the above more error messages from /etc/init.d/mountall.sh,
> /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh and others about not being able to find
> grep and sed. On examination, these files I noticed that the PATH is
> forced to /sbin:/bin at the top. grep and sed are in /usr/bin now. **
> As a workaround, I edited the files and added :/usr/sbin:/usr/bin to
> the path.
>
> * After the above I got error messages about eudev. On examination of
> /etc/init.d/uedev I noticed a similar problem with PATH, which I
> worked around in a similar way.
>
> Now my PC boots to a display manager and I can log in as expected. I
> didn't notice any further error messages.
>
> As you can see, the problems seem to be associated with several
> packages, so it's hard to pinpoint one package.
>
> My guess is that the programs that I mentioned - modprobe, depmod,
> modinfo, grep, sed - and many others are being installed in the wrong
> place. My reasoning is that, in a traditional Unix system, it should
> be possible to place /usr in a separate filesystem that won't be
> available at the time these scripts are called. However, on modern
> hardware, it's hardly ever necessary to have a separate filesystem
> for /usr, so it could be simply a path problem in several init
> scripts of at least two packages (initscripts and eudev)

I agree but split /usr without initrd is not supported (upstream) since
like a decade, it more or less worked until now but Debian is finally
breaking it for good with the usrmerge fallout. See my reply in #827
https://bugs.devuan.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=827