:: [devuan-dev] bug#828: devuan-projec…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: David Haworth
À: Devuan Bug Tracking System
Sujet: [devuan-dev] bug#828: devuan-project: After an upgrade (apt update; apt full-upgrade) the PC fails to reboot correctly.
Package: devuan-project
Severity: grave
Justification: renders package unusable

Dear Maintainer,

Yesterday I updated my OS in order to install AusweisApp2.
On the first attempt I got some errors from the update command, but they
seemed to be related to source packages. The second attempt appeared to
succeed, and AusweisApp2 worked as expected.

Today, after shutdown/reboot, there were lots of error messages. The switch to
high-resolution text display failed, no display manager started and I was dumped
into an 80x25 text screen, from which I could log in.

>From the error messages that flashed past, I was able to determine a few problems:

* One of the init scripts fails because it cannot find /sbin/modprobe.
** modprobe appears to be in /usr/sbin now.
** As a workaround, I created a symlink: ln -s /usr/bin/kmod /sbin/modprobe
* Similar failures for depmod and modinfo, similar symlinks created.

* After the above more error messages from /etc/init.d/mountall.sh, /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh and others
about not being able to find grep and sed. On examination, these files I noticed that the PATH is forced
to /sbin:/bin at the top. grep and sed are in /usr/bin now.
** As a workaround, I edited the files and added :/usr/sbin:/usr/bin to the path.

* After the above I got error messages about eudev. On examination of /etc/init.d/uedev I noticed a similar
problem with PATH, which I worked around in a similar way.

Now my PC boots to a display manager and I can log in as expected. I didn't notice any further error messages.

As you can see, the problems seem to be associated with several packages, so it's hard to pinpoint one package.

My guess is that the programs that I mentioned - modprobe, depmod, modinfo, grep, sed - and many others are
being installed in the wrong place. My reasoning is that, in a traditional Unix system, it should be possible
to place /usr in a separate filesystem that won't be available at the time these scripts are called.
However, on modern hardware, it's hardly ever necessary to have a separate filesystem for /usr, so it
could be simply a path problem in several init scripts of at least two packages (initscripts and eudev)

Best wishes,
Dave

-- System Information:
Distributor ID:    Devuan
Release:    6
Codename:    excalibur ceres
Architecture: x86_64

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-1-amd64 (SMP w/8 CPU threads; PREEMPT)
Kernel taint flags: TAINT_OOT_MODULE, TAINT_UNSIGNED_MODULE
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE=en_US:en
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: sysvinit (via /sbin/init)
LSM: AppArmor: enabled