:: Re: [DNG] There seems to be some st…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Joel Roth
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] There seems to be some strong disagreement in Debian regarding usrmerge
On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 05:39:05AM +0200, Lars Noodén via Dng wrote:
> On 12/30/23 12:25, altoid via Dng wrote:
> > > ... many who can contribute with sysvinit scripts ...
> > Linux has tens of thousands of very capable users, the great majority
> > highly qualified.
>
> How can the work flow be modified to let them in? What I see as the
> largest barrier there is the sea change needed in how work is split up
> regarding packages.
>
> Currently a single package is managed from start to finish by a
> maintainer or group of maintainers, if I understand correctly. What
> would be needed for many more people to participate would be the ability
> to focus on specific subtasks within that work flow, across multiple
> packages, without the need to take custody the whole package -- just the
> subtask. That would then make it possible to focus as befitting the
> available skill sets across many packages.

I think most Debian packagers will leave sysvinit scripts in
their packages even if systemd turns off sysvinit support.

Also I think that will be very hard for the systemd folks to
enforce exclusive use of systemd units as there is always some
software without a systemd unit but with a sysvinit script.
One example cited was a particular software package from Cisco.

--
Joel Roth