:: Re: [DNG] There seems to be some st…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Ralph Ronnquist
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] There seems to be some strong disagreement in Debian regarding usrmerge
On Sat, Dec 30, 2023 at 06:13:47PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Ralph Ronnquist said on Sun, 31 Dec 2023 10:01:36 +1100
>
> >I would suggest we step away from including "services" in "boot".
> >
> >To "boot" a system into a functional one is one thing.
> >
> >To start "services" at (or after that) is another.
> >
> >Modularity is good.
> >
> >I prefer "boot" to be scripted since it then can be adjusted more
> >easily if needed for any actual system and situation. Though boot
> >scripting should only deal with system startup and system shutdown.
> >Service start/stop/... rather belongs to "services management".
> >
> >hmm not sure that this thought brings things forward though :)
>
> I thought your preceding description is how all init systems behave.
>
> I know it's how runit behaves. In runit, stage 1 is what you call
> "boot", stage 2 is what you call "services management", and stage 3 is
> shutdown/reboot.
>
> I'm pretty sure sysvinit works the same way. I know Epoch s6 works
> the same way.

Probably right, though afaict there is not much distinction but boot
and service actions are mixed together and treated the same way. So
folks end up talking about, say, sshd start/stop or even, say,
networking start/stop as boot activities instead of services.

But I suppose most of the boot (startup) actions are delegated to the
initrd scripts nowadays anyway and that's well before sysvinit etc.

And shutdown commonly ends with a "halt" via a (final) boot/service
control script.