:: Re: [DNG] Sysvinit support by syste…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Joel Roth
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Sysvinit support by systemd and debian
On Sat, Dec 30, 2023 at 08:47:40PM +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 30, 2023 at 09:29:22AM -1000, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:
> > Does somehow have links to the dicussion about removing
> > sysvinit support from systemd?
>
> Probably here:
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2023-August/049349.html
>
> but really there wasn't much discussion.

I looked through the whole thread. Many software vendors
distribute their product with sysvinit scripts. (Cisco was
mentioned.) So it's hard for systemd to drop support
entirely. They've been warning for years.

Secondly, even if systemd does drop support, I expect the sysvinit
scripts will remain in the individual debian packages.
Removing them seems like a separate decision/policy.

They may not be speaking up now, but I suspect that if
push comes to shove, a lot of capable programmers will
find ways to continue to have sysvinit (or other init)
support in the Debian ecosystem.

--
Joel Roth