:: Re: [DNG] What do you guys like abo…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Curtis Maurand
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] What do you guys like about Desktop Environments?

On 12/23/23 10:34, tito via Dng wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 07:51:01 -0500
> Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Other than drag and drop, I'm trying to figure out why some people
>> prefer using a Desktop Environment over just a Window Manager and a
>> bunch of a-la-carte applications. So two questions:
>>
>> 1) What benefits do you see besides drag and drop?
> I think that it is rather simple: for the most people out there
> in the beginning there was "windows" and if they change
> for some reason to linux (usually annoyed by something
> MIcrosoft did, thus giving the energy to break the principle
> of maximum laziness or inertia) they just want the same
> experience as before (just without Microsoft) thereby confirming
> the law of maximum laziness.

I feel like the odd man out.  I've been using Mate Desktop for years
along with Firefox and Thunderbird for mail.  Caja (file manager) has
some very interesting plugins and makes any remote file system available
like they're a local filesystem.  I've been very happy with it.  I still
miss OS/2. (I know it's still available, but it's 32 bit.). It had the
PIM integration that KDE has, but it was way more advanced.

--Curtis