:: Re: [DNG] Simple or minimal wifi ac…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: tito
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Simple or minimal wifi access from a laptop.
On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:33:50 -0500
Hendrik Boom via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> I'm having trouble with connman in Devuan chimaera and need a replacement.
>
> I am setting my laptop up as an authoritative stopgap DNS server while my
> regular server is dead.
> tinydns needs to use port 53.
>
> connman, in a chronic fit of exuberance, already monopolizes port 53 so
> that it can take over domain name lookups. (there's no need for it to do
> this,but it does it anyway. It just needs to set up a wifi connwction. It
> doesn't need to do domain name lookup or definition.)
>
> So -- what other tools are there to connect to wi-fi that don't need to
> mess with port 53?
> Fancy graphical interfaces are OK, so are low-level CLI ones, or even
> hand-editing kernel configuration files, if that's what it tales.
>
> I do ask that there is adequate documentation somewhere to explain how to
> try them out. I may well have to install and uninstall them without
> leaving residues that interfere with port 53. Installing and purging in
> aptitude would probably do the trick. But leaving just a list of SSID's
> and passwords would be fine.
>
> -- hendrik

hi,
https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager/iwd

iwd - Man Page

Internet wireless daemon

Daemon for managing Wireless devices on Linux.

The iNet Wireless Daemon (iwd) project aims to provide a comprehensive
Wi-Fi connectivity solution for Linux based devices.

I used as network-manager backend and it worked far better than
wpa-supplicant, but it can be used also standalone.

Hope this helps.

Ciao,
Tito