:: Re: [DNG] Info about KDE
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Martin Steigerwald
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Info about KDE
Steve Litt - 22.12.23, 01:50:32 CET:
> >Kde made some mistakes in the past when they started to tell
> >the user what is better for him, nowadays they changed this
> >philosophy.
>
> My knowledge of KDE is from 2013. I spoze they could have untangled it,
> but seeing is that their selling point is "interoperability" between
> their applications, I'd be surprised if they untangled it.

They untangled it quite a lot. So much that LXQt desktop environment and I
believe some other non KDE related applications use certain KDE Framework
libraries. I think there are even some third party desktops using KDE
Framework libraries like Maui and I think another one I do not remember
currently. KDE Framework libraries can be used without installing a full
KDE desktop. They have a clear dependency structure:

Tier 1 Frameworks have no dependencies within Frameworks and only need Qt
and other relevant libraries.
Tier 2 Frameworks can depend only on Tier 1.
Tier 3 Frameworks can depend on other Tier 3 Frameworks as well as Tier 2
and Tier 1.

https://develop.kde.org/products/frameworks/

So at least Tier 1 frameworks can easily be used. But it is also easy
enough to install some KDE application without pulling in a Plasma
desktop. I'd even say it could be more easy than with GNOME nowadays.

Is it perfect? No. It is difficult to fully disable Akonadi and remove it in
case you use a (complete) Plasma desktop. But if in case you do not use it
or just use it to store some contacts and calenders, then switch it to
SQLite3 and it will stay out of the way.

It is also possible to install a minimized Plasma desktop, although as
explained it is difficult to completely get rid of Akonadi. But I installed
several laptops with Akonadi using SQLite3 and it has not been an issue.
Even on a lower spec laptop with I think only 6 GiB of RAM. It would run
in less memory actually.

But anyway, you are free to stay with your opinion as much as you like. I
just think it is not really based on up-to-date real life facts about KDE.

Best,
--
Martin