:: Re: [DNG] Info about KDE
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Martin Steigerwald
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Info about KDE
Steve Litt - 22.12.23, 01:55:49 CET:
> Martin Steigerwald said on Thu, 21 Dec 2023 10:12:15 +0100
>
> >I use KDE, nowadays KDE's Plasma, for more than 20 years. I am mostly
> >happy with it, except still some pitfalls with Akonadi
>
>                                                 ^^^^^^^

> Nuff said!
>
> Did they finally get rid of that hot mess nepomuk?

Nepomuk which was based on Virtuoso is long gone. Maybe for 5 years at
least, maybe even 10 years? AFAIR I did not make it into version 5.

It is possible to use Plasma without much involvement of Akonadi. I still
use KMail cause frankly IMHO it is one of the best GUI based mail clients
available and also because it would be quite some work to start with a new
client. But I am still unhappy with Akonadi.

However on other systems where I do not use Akonadi or where I install
Thunderbird for others to use I switch Akonadi to SQLite3 backend. And
then even in case it would be started its hardly noticeable.

They plan to make SQLite3 backend the default. One of the mistakes behind
Akonadi was to expect users to be a MariaDB or PostgreSQL database
administrator. PostgreSQL and MariaDB are fine for servers, but they are no
desktop databases.

The switch to SQLite3 backend as default will not solve every remaining
issue with Akonadi.

While I like Plasma very much, Akonadi is kind of a sad story really. It
started with an over complex design and all attempts to fix it up in the
last decade were not really complete. I am still not sure whether an
rewrite would have been better. There was an attempt at a replacement for
Akonadi which looked very promising. However… part of the KDEPIM developer
community stuck with Akonadi, so that only a most 3 people worked on the
alternative. It is still used in the Kube mail client however.

https://kube-project.com/ (but seems to time out at the moment)

What I would like is to stuff mail into notmuch and have a really nice Qt/
KDE Frameworks based mail client. Cause frankly, I like the attitude of
the notmuch developers: It is really not much mail.

I have seen web client of Zimbra Collaboration Suite being responsive with
a LKML folder with 450000+ mails by just displaying the first 1000-2000
mails and loading more as you scroll down about 10 years ago. So it
definitely can be done.

Best,
--
Martin