:: Re: [DNG] What is a user-init?
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Lorenz
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Steve Litt
Υ/ο: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] What is a user-init?
Il giorno mar 12 dic 2023 alle ore 02:58 Steve Litt
<slitt@???> ha scritto:

> The requirement to have daemons run by users other than root is already
> handled by runit's and s6's chpst commands, so there's no need to run a
> user specific supervisor simply to run as a different user and/or group.

While the end result is probably the same, there are relevant differences
both for the sysadmin and the user.
With the former (a root services that does chpst) the user has to ask the
sysadmin for each service that wants enabled (and the user has no control
over the service). Limits are applied specifically to each service.
With the latter (a user specific supervisor) the sysadmin delegates completely
to the user the choice of which service to supervise (of course, limited to
services that can run with a non root user); the sysadmin can impose limits
to the entire supervision group (with chpst or cgroup), the environment can
be user specific and all this is set in one place.

Lorenzo