:: Re: [DNG] (runit) Can emacs daemon …
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Alexandros Prekates
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] (runit) Can emacs daemon become a user service ?
On Thu, 7 Dec 2023 01:27:13 +0100
Lorenz via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> This is true, and I think no other init system has an feature fully
> equivalent to systemd --user.
> For now I suggest you rely on something else to create the
> link/enable the nested user-runsvdir on user login and remove the
> link on user logout. For example many desktop have some "session
> configure panel" to set components that are automatically started
> with the desktop at login; you can run a script that creates the link
> from there. Alternatively you can use pam_exec or /etc/profile.d/*.sh
> , to get an idea see
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/87225/pam-action-on-unsuccessful-login
>
> Not sure there is a proper way to run an action on logout..
> None of the above looks satisfying to me but I'm afraid there is no
> better way right now.
>
> As a side note:
> * I don't believe this feature belongs to an init system, but it would
> be better to be
>    implemented as a set of init independent services that can be run
> by any init that is capable of someting like runit's nested runsvdir
> * I had an idea and started working on a draft last february but then
> run out of time
>    and stopped, so nothing usable yet. I'll write on this list asking
> for testers if/when
>    I finish that.

> Lorenzo

Thank you for the reply . I think for the time i will start
emacs daemon as a system wide script.
But general i want to ask whether for a service management system
in theory should matter if it handles user services or system services .
Why an 'init system' that initiates certain system wide services and
supervise them would be different from an user init system that
initializes user services and supervises them ?

Alexandros.