:: Re: [DNG] (runit) Can emacs daemon …
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Alexandros Prekates
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] (runit) Can emacs daemon become a user service ?
On Wed, 6 Dec 2023 22:27:58 +0000
Alexandros Prekates via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Dec 2023 19:20:54 +0100
> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
>
> > Le 06/12/2023 à 12:05, Alexandros Prekates via Dng a écrit :
> > > I have started an effort to setup emacs as a daemon controlled by
> > > runit. s.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dng
> >
> >     Hi Alexandros, could you explain the motivation of this effort:
> >
> >     Is there a reason to not start the emacs server as part of
> > your session's start-up?
> >
> >     I can't help with runit, but what you are trying to do might
> > give ideas to emacs' users like me.
> >
> > --     Didier
> >________________________________

Some apps that use dbus function in a similar way to emacs daemon
offering services to the dbus.
When you directly or indirectly want to use that app if there is
already an instance running then you just get another 'tab' so ...
So emacs as a daemon could be seen as an app that because it can be
used for editing by various other apps offers a certain service to
other user apps (for example it may have merits
to write this message to emacs that now its running and not in claws
email that has none of emacs text editing facilities ) . But if its
not an automated service (at least in the casual cases!) .

So in that lense, i think using userlever runit services that offers
user lever services to other apps could be seen as an alternative way to
dbus to achieve the same goal .

I get a strange feeling thought. If runit and dbus could overlap (in
service management) then that overlap is contained only in user land
or someone could think to go the other way and say lets use dbus to
control cron or apache or sshd ?

Alexandros.