:: Re: [DNG] (runit) Can emacs daemon …
Página Inicial
Autor: Alexandros Prekates
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] (runit) Can emacs daemon become a user service ?
On Wed, 6 Dec 2023 19:20:54 +0100
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 06/12/2023 à 12:05, Alexandros Prekates via Dng a écrit :
> > I have started an effort to setup emacs as a daemon controlled by
> > runit. s.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dng
>
>     Hi Alexandros, could you explain the motivation of this effort:
>
>     Is there a reason to not start the emacs server as part of your
> session's start-up?
>
>     I can't help with runit, but what you are trying to do might
> give ideas to emacs' users like me.
>
> --     Didier
>________________________________

Hi. I guess that if we accept that there is such thing as an edit text
service with certain merits (fast response , sharable state etc) it
would make sense to be managed by a service manager . If i started
it in my user session it would be unmanaged.
Now giving me the opportunity to think it in your context i admit i see
a flaw. Why would emacs as a service collapse if each user would have
her/his own server instance. Its a service to many apps but only one
user. Of course in a system with only one user that argument could
extend to other daemons too. But now a new distinction comes in front.
There are daemons that offer a service that is consumed automatically
by other programs (even if they belogn to one user).
On the other hand in that new line of logic why ttys need supervision ?
So i guess that is the core question . When a programs needs
supervision by another program ? The first answer that comes in my mind
is if there is no human supervisor around and many auto-consumer
processes need that service asap. Strange .. shouldnt a display server
be managed too ?

Alexandros.