:: [DNG] SSD Lifetime? Re: My thought…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: terryc
To: dng
Alte Treads: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Neue Treads: Re: [DNG] SSD Lifetime?
Betreff: [DNG] SSD Lifetime? Re: My thoughts on usr merge
On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 09:19:27 +0800
jeremy ardley via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On 5/12/23 09:15, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Also, until this argument about whether writes shorten NVMe life,
> > I'm trying to reserve my NVMe for stuff that seldom gets written.
>
> I put a Western Digital Black NVME 500G drive in my desktop system
> and ran it for about 3 years. At the end it had 65% life left which
> surprised me as my desktop doesn't do an awful lot of disk writing or
> even reading.

How did you determine this lifetime?

I have a couple of systems with SSDs. One is /Everything and the other
has two under / and /home. They were rolled out about two years ago.

FWIW HowToGeek on testing SSDs claims Blackblaze claims SSD. will
outlast HDDs. Samne rate of failure under 3 years and HDDs start
failing after 54 years, but SSDs go on further