:: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Página Principal
Autor: Steve Litt
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Marc Shapiro via Dng said on Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:47:00 -0800

>What are people's thoughts on /var and /tmp being mounted separately?
>I currently have them separate, but could put them back on / when I
>put /usr back.  Are there any reasons one way or the other?  I am also
>using LVM for everything, including /.

I'd put /var and /tmp right on the root. Why make things more
complicated than they need to be. If your log rotation methodology does
its job /var shouldn't get too full. And /tmp is supposed to be a tmpfs
anyway, so how big could it get, and wouldn't that be an attack on RAM,
not disk space?

However, I mounted my /var on /dev/sdb2. Am I a hypocrite? Yes. What is
my reason? Like many others, my root partition is a tiny and very fast
NVMe, and because it's small, I have /home /var, /s, /d, /scratch
(don't ask :-) mounted on a 12TB 7200 spinning rust monstrosity. The
only thing not mounted on spinning rust is /usr, so that programs fire
up lightning quick, even though their data is slower to arrive. Also,
until this argument about whether writes shorten NVMe life, I'm trying
to reserve my NVMe for stuff that seldom gets written.

By the way, my Daily Driver Desktop (DDD) is a Void Linux setup, and
Void has had /bin, /sbin and /lib linked to directories under /usr
forever and ever, so it's not a problem with Void. Maybe the folks at
Debian should consult the Void people to see what Void is doing right.
Of course, this would create a "not invented here" situation :-).

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21