:: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Marc Shapiro
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge

On 12/2/23 21:19, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 02, 2023 at 11:13:16AM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>> Probably it can work when "/usr" is mounted in initramfs. But as I never
>> found the utility to have a separate "/usr" on any of my own systems (and
>> neither on any servers I administrated for my employer and their
>> customers) as well has having had to deal with the outcome of very fine
>> grained partitioning as in /usr being separate and too small.
> I found a separate /usr convenient long ago. My / partition,
> which contained /usr, had run out of space and there were other partitios
> beside it, so I couldn't just expand it.
>
> The simplist thing wasto put /usr elsewhere on the disk.
>
> This whole situation is obsolete now that we have a logical voluume
> manager, but /usr is still separate for historical reasons.
>
> I have no reason now to keep it separate (it works), but ther users
> will have their own issues.
>
> I will put /usr beck on / when I have some spare time,
> to avoid Debian-made problems later.

This is what I plan to do, as well.

What are people's thoughts on /var and /tmp being mounted separately?  I
currently have them separate, but could put them back on / when I put
/usr back.  Are there any reasons one way or the other?  I am also using
LVM for everything, including /.

Marc