:: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Hendrik Boom
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 09:13:39PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Marc Shapiro via Dng said on Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:08:49 -0800
>
> >On 11/28/23 22:05, Steve Litt wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> First of all, I don't like the idea of usr merge. It necessitates an
> >> initramfs if /usr is mounted instead of just being off the root of
> >> the root drive. And the old way was working: Why mess with success?
> >
> >Are you saying that as long as the system is booting using an
> >initramfs, which mine does since it usesa stock kernel, that having a
> >separate partition for /usr will not be an issue, even after all of
> >this usr-merge garbage goes into effect?
>
> The opposite. I'm saying that a merged system MUST HAVE an initramfs in
> order to correctly boot, unless the kernel has the driver for your boot
> disk compiled in.

That's the way it was in the old days. Precompiled kernels used to have
the driver for some variant of EXT2 compiled in, and the boot drive would
be an EXT partition.

It's not clear to me why initrd is an improvement over having the start scrits in /boot.

As far as I can see, it was simpler than having an initrd.
And stuff in /boot should, I suspect, still have installed
drivers for other file systems.

-- hendrik