:: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Página Inicial
Autor: Tomasz Torcz
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
On Sun, Dec 03, 2023 at 12:19:59AM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 02, 2023 at 11:13:16AM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >
> > Probably it can work when "/usr" is mounted in initramfs. But as I never
> > found the utility to have a separate "/usr" on any of my own systems (and
> > neither on any servers I administrated for my employer and their
> > customers) as well has having had to deal with the outcome of very fine
> > grained partitioning as in /usr being separate and too small.
>
> I found a separate /usr convenient long ago. My / partition,
> which contained /usr, had run out of space and there were other partitios
> beside it, so I couldn't just expand it.
>
> The simplist thing wasto put /usr elsewhere on the disk.

That actually the original reason from /usr split from 1971.

#v+
When the operating system grew too big to fit on the first RK05 disk
pack (their root filesystem) they let it leak into the second one, which
is where all the user home directories lived (which is why the mount was
called /usr). They replicated all the OS directories under there (/bin,
/sbin, /lib, /tmp...) and wrote files to those new directories because
their original disk was out of space. When they got a third disk, they
mounted it on /home and relocated all the user directories to there
#v-

https://www.pixelstech.net/article/1477109665-Unix-directory-hierarchy-history

--
Tomasz Torcz                                                       72->|   80->|
tomek@???                                               72->|   80->|