:: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Top Pagina
Auteur: Martin Steigerwald
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Marc Shapiro via Dng - 02.12.23, 03:28:14 CET:
> On 12/1/23 07:57, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Marc Shapiro via Dng - 01.12.23, 03:35:09 CET:
> >> This can't be an issue for Daedalus, however, because this is
> >> definitely destabilizing. So this becomes an issue with Excalibur?
> >> But Excalibur isn't likely to be released by March, 2024. This is
> >> just confusing.
> > Devuan Ceres is affected. Devuan Excalibur will be affected. At least
> > as it stands now.
> >
> > Earlier versions of Devuan like Daedalus are not affected and can
> > remain unmerged until upgraded to Devuan Ceres or once released or
> > almos released Excalibur.
>
> So when Excalibur goes stable, and before I upgrade, I need to make sure
> that /usr is part of the / partition, and not mounted separately.

Probably it can work when "/usr" is mounted in initramfs. But as I never
found the utility to have a separate "/usr" on any of my own systems (and
neither on any servers I administrated for my employer and their
customers) as well has having had to deal with the outcome of very fine
grained partitioning as in /usr being separate and too small, I have no
experience whether it can actually really can work with "/usr" being
mounted in initramfs. (I do not like to imply that there are no useful
scenarios or setups to have /usr separate, but for my use cases it never
really made sense. I know the idea of mounting /usr from NFS and use /bin,
/sbin, /lib for booting, however if I would need this, I probably would
use an initramfs to boot the whole system from network and it could be
challenging to get library dependencies right, especially with desktops
and desktop environments.)

> Until then I don't need to worry about this mess.
>
> I'll deal with it when I need to and not worry about it, now.

I never said anything else. My initial post bringing this up was clearly
related to Devuan Ceres.

Best,
--
Martin