:: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Martin Steigerwald
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] My thoughts on usr merge
Steve Litt - 01.12.23, 07:22:32 CET:

> >> The opposite. I'm saying that a merged system MUST HAVE an initramfs
> >> in order to correctly boot, unless the kernel has the driver for
> >> your boot disk compiled in.
> >
> >Isn't that true of an unmerged system, too?
>
> Yes! :-)

Ah interesting. I thought an unmerged system would be able to boot up with
stuff from /bin, /sbin, /lib and other top level directories up to the
point to be able to mount /usr without the help of mounting within
initramfs. At least with sysvinit, openrc or runit. AFAIR Systemd required
mounting a separate /usr in initramfs since a long time.

--
Martin