:: Re: [DNG] Thoughts and infos on unm…
Top Pagina
Auteur: sawbona
Aan: Dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Thoughts and infos on unmerged layout
Hello:

On 1 Dec 2023 at 1:19, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:27:03 -0300
>altoid via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
> I fully agree, let's stick with sysvinit ...

No, not my quote, but it does not matter.

> An init system consists of both a PID1 and a ...
> ... relatively easy to use the PID1 of sysvinit and ...
> Simple instructions ...

All very nice for all those who are savvy enough to delve into the
introcate workings of init sofware and all that comes with it.
.
I've spent almost 30 years in and around IT (MS and Linux) and I am
not.

I know my way around most things and get out of issues that crop up
(self inflicted or not) with the help of different forums, such as
DNG and Dev1.

And my money is on 95% (or more) of Devuan users being *exactly* like
me.

> ... a PID1 of sysvinit and slowly migrating daemon by
> daemon from sysvinit to runit is easy and a good way to learn ...

Well ...

I'm sorry to have to be the one to break it to you:

------------> that - is - not - going - to - happen <---------

> ... not as pessimistic about the future of Devuan ...

The writing has been on the wall for many years now.

>From the very moment that the Poettering led systemd putsch reared

it's ugly head over the Linux ecosystem.

And the steps taken in the past couple of years by the Debian camp
are only repainting it in bright fluorescent red, over and over
again.

Not to mention the fact of Poettering being the newest addition to
the MS roster.

I suppose that you think it was simple coincidence?

> ... if you're pessimistic ...

Yes, I am.
Very much so.

Please (2x please?) do not take what I about to write *personally*
because it is *not*.

After reading your post I am even more pesimistic.

> ... it behooves you to learn a new init ...

No. It does not, not by a longshot.

The init software used in a Linux distribution has to be absolutely
transparent to the Devuan user and it has to be in the hands of
capable coders/developers and maintainers.

It has adjust to the basic principle of simple, compact, clear,
modular, and extensible code that can be easily maintained and
repurposed by developers other than its creators.

ie: not the pile of horse manure that systemd is.

All we need now (the most urgent matter at hand) is to make sure
Devuan survives.

There is no time for Devuan end users to start learing about init
software and all its intricacies.

Just my 0.02.
Yet again.

Best,