:: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right w…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Arnt Karlsen
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right word??)
On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:35:56 +1000, onefang wrote in message
<20231130023556.eehn7ph6xl6rkwed@???>:

> On 2023-11-24 03:41:34, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:28:45 -0600, o1bigtenor wrote in message
> > <CAPpdf59Zhr_ucwTpv3bL7i_EPenc6U4s-g3ceqRkmNRowwFExA@???>:

> > > I use the different addresses to create some anonymity and also
> > > keep things separated (different addresses for different things
> > > that I do/am interested in - - - that kind of thing) - - - - I
> > > can be found just using my first name - - - - which is great if
> > > you like a 5' dia target on your butt but if you don't - - - -
> > > well - - - its just no fun!!!!
> >
> > ..back in the 1990ies before Groklaw.net ate all my time online, I
> > used to use exmh and later sylpheed for email and pan on my usenet
> > traffic to keep my email and usenet traffic separated, they looked
> > different enough to remind me of WTF I was doing.
> >
> > ..you might be able to do something similar playing around with
> > colorful theme setups hooked up to each mail ID, otherwise just
> > use different MUAs, e.g. exmh, mutt, kmail etc, one for each ID.

> > > The is where I really don't know squat about what I need to do.
> > >
> > > So besides claws I will need to set up fetchmail and procmail - -
> > > - do I understand that correctly?
> >
> > ..yep, and I now see you'll prefer getmail and maildrop,
>
> So you suggest using getmail and maildrop, but ...

..yes, to somebody I wrongly assumed was a newbie.

> > 1) because they are easier to set up, even by newbies,
> > 2) because they are newer and better supported by people
> > who still remember HTF they set them up, and 3) I've
> > touched my setup maybe 10 times since the 1990ies, no
> > more than 25 times when including cut-n-pasting configs
> > on simply moving my Mail/ tree etc onto new disks.
> >
> > > If I set up a hosted domain will I be able to set that up as an
> > > email recipient (group) for my addresses?
> >
> > ..yep, me, I just use fetchmail to fetch _all_ my mail, and
> > procmail
>
> You actually use fetchmail and procmail.
>
> I currently use fetchmail and maildrop.
>
> Apart from "It's newer and thus shinier" what are the advantages of
> getmail over fetchmail?

..their websites and Debian promotes it as "the future"
while FUD'ing fetchmail and procmail as "depreciated",
somewhat like they depreciate init system alternatives
to systemd... I probably should have tried a bigger
pinch of salt. :o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three: