:: Re: [DNG] (Fwd) Re: Thoughts and i…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: al3xu5
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] (Fwd) Re: Thoughts and infos on unmerged layout
Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:22:03 -0300 - altoid via Dng <dng@???>:

> Hello:
>
> On 29 Nov 2023 at 12:43, al3xu5 via Dng wrote:
>
> > ... safest route clearly seems to me to lead to runit ...
> I really cannot say, no idea so I cannot opine on that.

I can't say for sure either, I don't have sufficient skills in this matter.

I am referring to runit because it seemed to me, from the discussion here
some time ago, that there was enough consensus in this sense, and that
developing runit scripts is within the reach of most...

But this is of little importance: it matters that a direction is found (from
those who have a good knowledge of the init systems) towards something
that solves the pressing problem - Debian will be dropping sysvinit soon - in
the simplest and least demanding way... and, as far as I am concerned and if
I am able, I will try to contribute as I can.

> What I *can* say (and have absolutely *no* doubts about it) is that
> if things continue as they are now, Devuan is headed straight for the
> "once relatively successful distribution" chapter of Linux history.

Yes, it could happen for sure ;-(

> > ... also because that there could be more people here capable ...
>
> From where I am standing, my take is that *anyone* with a
> basic/medium/advanced understanding of how init software works is
> capable of contributing to a solution of the problem Devuan and
> derivatives are facing these days.

Indeed.

> ---> ie: their impending demise.
>
> [...]
>
> So, lets take the most mature/most used init software at this moment
> and make sure we can *still* use it, no matter *what* the Debian
> Poetterheads do with their support for it or the infamous /usr
> merge.

Agree. Exactly what I wrote before.

Regards
alexus

--
Property is theft! (P-J Proudhon) -- True today more than ever.

Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B