:: Re: [DNG] Thoughts and infos on unm…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Wm. Moss
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Thoughts and infos on unmerged layout
On 11/29/23 10:15, altoid via Dng wrote:
> Hello:
>
> On 29 Nov 2023 at 15:29, tito via Dng wrote:
>
>> I fully agree, let's stick with sysvinit until things are sorted out ...
> Very well.
>
> That makes two of us.
>
> Now ...
> Let's see just *how many* people here at dng, devuan-dev,
> dev1+derivatives forums are actually willing to go along with that
> *and* actually pitch in.
>
> Meaning:
>
> *Stop* (once and for all) screwing around with this wet dream of the
> best-of-the-best multi-option init software and line up *everyone*
> behind the gargantuan effort that will be needed to make sure the
> most mature/most used init software (and as a direct result, Devuan
> itlself) is safe from the reach of the Debian war machine.
>
> I don't know *which* one that is, is sysvinit (?), I have no idea.
> All I am absolutely certain of is that it is *not* systemd. 8^°
>
> I am also absolutely certain that the Linux ecosystem is home to
> literally tens of thousands of highly qualified and hard working
> coders/developers/maintainers that could make this happen if all
> their manpower is properly harnessed behind the *same* objective.
>
> It is as old as time itself.
> United we will stand / divided we will fall.
>
> But it is a project needing a leader with groups of people to
> evaluate, divide and distribute tasks, setting goals to be met.
>
> Not a hundreds member strong commitee.
>
> Just my 0.02.
>
> Really don't have much more to say than that.
>
> Best,
>
> S.

I vote for sysV init for the time being!

I modify init scripts for my own particular needs and and been doing so
for more years than I will admit to. The ideas behind these scripts are
from both the original SVID (System Five Interface Definition) of Bell
Labs and BSD 4.x. They are rather easy to write though I do modify the
code in some of the default scripts to use more modern POSIX shell (BASH
and such) constructs. BSD scripts are also easy to write and similar to
sysV Linux.

Though the current init system is rather old, except for PID 1,
everything should go away. My primary problem with systemd is that too
much remains; reminds me of a LISP machine. It is an immutable fact that
the more complex a system, the more unreliable it is. Eventually it
becomes unpredictable and pathological (see complexity theory and Godel
numbers).

Therefore, I would recommend to stay with SysV init as a least worse
choice and deal with all the other nonsense until it is resolved.

--
William (Bill) Moss
bill.m.moss@???

     Justice will not be served until those who are
     unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Benjamin Franklin

     When the people fear the government there is
     tyranny, when the government fears the people
     there is liberty.
John Basil Barnhill