:: [DNG] (Fwd) Re: Thoughts and infos…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: sawbona
To: Dng
Betreff: [DNG] (Fwd) Re: Thoughts and infos on unmerged layout
Hello:

On 29 Nov 2023 at 12:43, al3xu5 via Dng wrote:

> ... safest route clearly seems to me to lead to runit ...

I really cannot say, no idea so I cannot opine on that.

What I *can* say (and have absolutely *no* doubts about it) is that
if things continue as they are now, Devuan is headed straight for the
"once relatively successful distribution" chapter of Linux history.

> ... also because that there could be more people here capable ...

>From where I am standing, my take is that *anyone* with a

basic/medium/advanced understanding of how init software works is
capable of contributing to a solution of the problem Devuan and
derivatives are facing these days.

---> ie: their impending demise.

The question seems to be (oh, surprise!) *which* solution?
sysvinit? runit? openrc? upstart? s6?

That is where the whole thing starts to get contentious and murky.
Everyone has an opinion and wants to enforce it.

The image of a patient on the operating table, chest open wide with
an unexpected ruptured aorta and the DH surgeons arguing about how to
stop the bleeding comes to mind.

But it is *not* a Benny Hill sketch.
And it is pathetic.

As things stand today, Devuan urgently needs to be able to dodge the
hail of bullets Debian+systemd zealots have coming for it.

There is NO time to start thinking about anything BUT that.

So, lets take the most mature/most used init software at this moment
and make sure we can *still* use it, no matter *what* the Debian
Poetterheads do with their support for it or the infamous /usr
merge.

Once we can *guarantee* Devuan's survival, then we can see about
moving on (or not) to other init software *options*.

Anything else is needless chatter.

Best,

S.