:: Re: [DNG] runit 2.1.2-54+usrmerge: …
Página Principal
Autor: Lorenz
Para: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] runit 2.1.2-54+usrmerge: usrmerge becoming mandatory for Devuan?
Steve,

Il giorno mar 28 nov 2023 alle ore 03:55 Steve Litt <
slitt@???> ha scritto:

> Lorenz via Dng said on Mon, 27 Nov 2023 02:24:43 +0100
>

> >Stive Litt wrote :
> >> I'm pretty sure if worst came to worst you could install runit by the
> >> old ./configure;make;make-install route, and it will work just fine
> >> with or without the merge, forever.
> >right now, it really won't work
>
> I'm working on other stuff now and don't have the time to verify that
> the UPSTREAM Runit will work just fine with everything in /usr/bin,
> assuming a very few things are changed in scripts 1, 2 and 3.

This is not a problem with runit itself nor with the Debian package, it's a
system wide issue in Debian that affects derivatives too.
A setup that works just fine with everything in /usr/bin is broken now on an
unmerged system. And the current setup that works on split usr setup
is going to be broken very soon.
Debian is in the process of moving everything from /bin /sbin /lib into
/usr ; it's an ongoing process that will take a couple of months to
complete.

My advise for people that don't like usrmerge it's to start to think about
a setup to keep their system unmerged now, but to apply that setup after
Debian has complete the transition (expected around march 2024).
You can do this by merging your system now and then unmerge
later when Debian has done the transition, deploying your setup.

I do fully support people doing whatever they want with their system,
I just really hope that anyone with an unmerged system that does not
want to follow my advise fully undestands the implications of

"all objects are going to disappear from /bin /sbin /lib with upgrades,
progressively in some unpredictable order in the next few months"

and understands what is needed to keep the system alive during such
process.

> Besides, if you have /sbin ==> /usr/sbin , why would a shebang with
> /sbin fail?

that's a merged system; it works by default with that setup. The problem
is with unmerged systems

Lorenzo

If need be, it's trivial to put /sbin and /bin on the