:: Re: [DNG] runit 2.1.2-54+usrmerge: …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] runit 2.1.2-54+usrmerge: usrmerge becoming mandatory for Devuan?
Martin Steigerwald said on Sun, 26 Nov 2023 12:11:30 +0100

>Now what I would like to have confirmation whether I have to usr-merge
>my Devuan Ceres systems in order to continue for them to boot or
>whether that note is just for Debian users.

Hi Martin,

As far as I know, there's nothing in the runit software favoring merged
or separate. Maybe some distros put in such stuff in the form of
package options or runit config stuff, but runit itself, I think it's
usr merge agnostic.

I'm pretty sure if worst came to worst you could install runit by the
old ./configure;make;make-install route, and it will work just fine
with or without the merge, forever. And runit is so stable and
unchanging that there's no need to keep updating it, so having it
installed sans-package isn't a hardship.

You might want to create a Ceres VM and test all this there.

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21