:: Re: [DNG] runit 2.1.2-54+usrmerge: …
Página Inicial
Autor: Joel Roth
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] runit 2.1.2-54+usrmerge: usrmerge becoming mandatory for Devuan?
On Sun, Nov 26, 2023 at 11:54:44AM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Martin Steigerwald - 26.11.23, 11:49:24 CET:
> > please merge this system as soon as possible
> > for details refer to DEP17 (M2) documentation
> > https://subdivi.de/~helmut/dep17.html
>
> When I look at this document just briefly I wonder has it really been
> beneficial to use up such an insane amount of time for merging usr?
>
> Anyway, I fully get Devuan developers deciding against diverting from
> merged usr here. It would be too much work.
>
> So if it is merged usr, then *sigh* I am going to do it.
>
> I wonder whether the people behind merged usr ever fully thought about the
> consequences of their proposal. Well… no, I do not wonder: They did not.
> That much is obvious when I just briefly scan over above document.

I experimented for a time with gobolinux. They use symlinks
extensively for backward compatibility in a new hierarchy
that works very well. All the installed files of a program
are stored under one directory, with symlinks wherever
needed. gobo allows multiple versions of the same program to
coexist. Removing a package is as simple as removing a
single directory and cleaning up the dangling symlinks.

Based on that experience, I imagine that merged /usr could
work okay, although I wonder how this affects manually
installed software.