:: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right w…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: onefang
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right word??)
On 2023-11-25 20:30:56, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> = = = maybe best is - - what are YOU using?

Since you asked...

I run my own server, some of you may have heard of it, it's also one of
the Devuan package mirrors.

It has a variety of domain names, and I run my own email server on it
using the courier family of servers. I mostly picked courier coz it
covers everything, so far it has worked well.

I have configured it for wildcard emails, so sending to any name @ any of
those domains will usually fall through to me, unless they are the email
address of someone or something else that is using my server. This means
I can hand out email addresses I just make up on the spot, so if it
leaks, I know who it leaked from.

I also have some old email addresses on places like Yahoo and Gmail. As
well as some on other peoples servers, and Proton mail.

I use fetchmail to fetch most of that, though some places I have to
configure to forward emails to my server coz they don't wanna work with
standard things like POP and IMAP (looking at you gmail). Fetchmail
feeds emails through maildrop, which uses a grey list to sort things into
standard Maildir folders on my desktop.

The grey list has rules like "put any email from the Devuan mailing lists
into the Devuan folder" (lots of that sort of rule), "put emails from
specific people into the inbox folder" (very few of those people), "put
emails from my family into the Family folder", "put known spam into the
Spam folder", and finally "everything else goes into a holding folder so
I can figure out what to do with it later".

I use neomutt (ASCII version to avoid that "delete random emails" bug,
where it is called mutt) to read and write emails. I used to use claws,
but I have forgotten why I switched to neomutt.

Neomutt is configured to use certain address for certain folders, for
example the address used to send emails when I am in the Devuan folder is
the one this email was sent from. So I don't have to think about it.

Sent emails are forwarded to my server via an ssh forward, and it deals
with sending them onto the next hop.