:: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right w…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: terryc
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right word??)
On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 16:12:46 +0100
Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???> wrote:

> ..try live without it for a week, just see _whether_ you _can_
> untangle your own email from claws.

Okay, wtf are you people doing that you suffer lock-in?
Claws doesn't download/collect emails unless I specifically 'press a
button' each and everytime. Then it downloads and sorts.

> If you can't, you're locked-in, and will go down with that ship
> _whenever_ the claws ship goes down.
> Remember, good old Lennart _could_ "join" the claws team. ;o)

Well, there other mailers so unless I loose access to Devuan packages,
there are no real problems.

Even 'primitive' is still workable aka accessing "/var/mail/user on
the mail server" although the SO is going to be very annoyed wading
through headers and that html rubbish. If that happens, I'll might have
to revive my scripting skills.

Seriously people, from the 'horror' posts regularly popping up on
this list, it seems like many of you need to get out into the sunshine
and fresh air a bit more.

FYI, I started doing 'mail chucking' well before Linux came into
existence. A little bit on various unix boxen for $ and wrangling
two community Fidonet nodes on OS/2 for a hobby and my favourite mail
server is smtp with the alternate settings. Now, that 'program' was
about putting together the parts/services you required.

Running sendmail, some pop and currently claws-mail suits me fine.

Time to follow our cat into the sunshine.
terryc

> > > And I think we all can name a
> > > half a dozen great softwares that later went bad.

> > IME, they just end up being unsupported.
>
> ..the systemd die-hards still support Debian. ;o)

Point lost on me. I thought the discussion was about great software
packages like cheaops, etc.

> > > The way I have mine set up, whenever Claws screws up I switch to
> > > Evolution, and vice versa. Some day I'll add Mutt to that list.
> > > Choice is good.

> > What the problem is that there is no overall archiving system that
> > makes all this information searchable. What was that FOSS programm
> > that sucked up all your lists and provided a searchable web portal.I
> > had to shut mine down as it needed an easyway to mangle all the
> > collected email addresses.
>
> ..mairix? The Unix idea is we piece together the pieces we
> like to build those systems.

So