:: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right w…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Arnt Karlsen
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right word??)
On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 17:17:11 +1100, terryc wrote in message
<20231125171711.620d4f2f@???>:

> On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 16:53:06 -0500
> Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
>
> > terryc said on Sat, 25 Nov 2023 01:21:49 +1100
> >

> > >I don't use fetchmail or anything else. Claws-mail can use POP and
> > >IMAP to access the provided mail boxs.

> > Vendor lock in alert!
>
> Vendor? AFAIK it is FOSS.

..juuust like Debian. ;oD

> It is in the stable package lists.
> I don't remember what it is forked from, but there is also Sylpheed
> which is the forked or forkee as well.
>

> > By having almost all your email assembly line run by Claws,
>
> Yep, it is convenient having an editor send,collect sort and file
> messages. It is the bit where it is supposed to interface to usenet
> servers that I'm havcing trouble with and have to keep using pan.

..aaah, in the good old days Debian was wooonderful,
just like claws is now.

..for me, using pan on usenet was intentional, we have all
heard those crazy goof stories about people broadcasting
private stuff online that you yourself do _not_ wanna find
yourself in the world wide news headlines for.

> > if Claws ever goes bad, you're royally screwed.
> It is just a mailer. YMMV, but ATM, it is the best.

..try live without it for a week, just see _whether_ you _can_
untangle your own email from claws.
If you can't, you're locked-in, and will go down with that ship
_whenever_ the claws ship goes down.
Remember, good old Lennart _could_ "join" the claws team. ;o)

> > And I think we all can name a
> > half a dozen great softwares that later went bad.
>
> IME, they just end up being unsupported.

..the systemd die-hards still support Debian. ;o)

> > The way I have mine set up, whenever Claws screws up I switch to
> > Evolution, and vice versa. Some day I'll add Mutt to that list.
> > Choice is good.
>
> What the problem is that there is no overall archiving system that
> makes all this information searchable. What was that FOSS programm
> that sucked up all your lists and provided a searchable web portal.I
> had to shut mine down as it needed an easyway to mangle all the
> collected email addresses.

..mairix? The Unix idea is we piece together the pieces we
like to build those systems.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: