:: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right w…
Página Inicial
Autor: Arnt Karlsen
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right word??)
On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 01:21:49 +1100, terryc wrote in message
<20231125012149.36b074c6@???>:

> On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 06:23:45 -0600
> o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 5:18 AM terryc <terryc@???> wrote:

> > > Yes, it will do that.
> > > I have 12 email boxens and can receive and send from them all.

> > Just to confirm - - - you mean 12 different email addresses - -
> > yes?
> Yes, not computers.
> One on my domain and
> 11 others that are some-ident@??? from which claws-mail
> gathers from and sends email to as 'some-ident@webmail' provider.
>
> I don't use fetchmail or anything else. Claws-mail can use POP and
> IMAP to access the provided mail boxs.

..fetchmail also uses both pop and imap. It presents itself as an
email _client_, so no need for those mail-server-to-mail-server
handshakes, which should help fetch mail off tricky gmail servers:
https://www.fetchmail.info/fetchmail-FAQ.html#I9

> So you could set and mail boxes on Proton, Tutanota and any of the
> others, although gmail is problematic. Caveat, I don't have any of
> these.

..pop.gmail.com is still there, so this recipe should still work:
https://www.axllent.org/docs/gmail-pop3-with-fetchmail/
For system wide setups to feed a mail server or a /home tree, put
your ~/.fetchmailrc in /etc/fetchmailrc or set up a "postmaster
superuser" and put it there.

..to feed a /home tree, I'd use a system wide procmail setup.

> Claws-mail just downlads on demand and places them into specific
> directories. I just dump everything into Inbox and then run filters to
> sort (copy and/or deposit) into various mail folders.

..manually? Both automatic ways works fine, I just happened
to have my fetchmail+procmail train ready to go, and, the
future may bring even greater MUAs than we have now.

> > > While I have 12 mail boxen, I'm only running one of my own
> > > mailserver, the other 11 are from independent webmail services

> > Do you have any recommendations for which mailserver to use?
> I'm old school and have been using sendmail from before exim and all
> that other stuff came out.
>

> You really just need to configure your domain and decide which block
> lists you run. You do not need to understand the complex stuff to run
> a basic email server.
>
> I use zen.spamhaus.(com?) and spamcop.com.
> Because I started before data became free in Australia, I've made
> copious use of the sendmail /etc/mail/access and have whitelists and
> then basically block all the free email providers like gmail, hotmail,
> outlook, yahoo, etc and a number of IPv4 domains of A, B, C and D
> class.
>
> I also run a firewall on the server where I list all the door knock
> dumpers.

..finally a good reason to run a mail server, door knock bait. 8o)

> > > I don't know how to create another email posting user except by
> > > logging in as a another-user on a system and running a separate
> > > mailer.
> > >
> > > OTOH, I currently have over 1,000 aliases emails, so each enguiry
> > > is given some-bus-yymm@???.
> > > The catch is you wo

> > It appears like you response was/is truncated - - - would you please
> > either complete your thoughts or send what was somehow missed.
>
> I'm not sure what I intended. It is just basic safety to give out
> email boxes as little as possible, so if I make a web/phone/shop
> enquiry and leave an email address it is based on the
> business/service I'm contacting so for Fred's Jaffles I'd create an
> email address of fredjaff2311@???
>
> So, if/when Fred gets a worm/virus or has mail-list/contact data
> stolen, I can easily block that address by commenting it out in my
> alias file. I can issue similar for all the user/software/?
> -lists I want to lurk follow.
>
> Hope that helps.
> terryc

Scenarios always come in sets of three: