:: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right w…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Arnt Karlsen
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right word??)
On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 06:19:36 -0600, o1bigtenor wrote in message
<CAPpdf58=ee0D4FP3Azjkp0kU8X3y5-Uv5WFLsRpJ-wGNDYxhtQ@???>:

> On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 8:42 PM Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:28:45 -0600, o1bigtenor wrote in message
> > <CAPpdf59Zhr_ucwTpv3bL7i_EPenc6U4s-g3ceqRkmNRowwFExA@???>:

> > > I use the different addresses to create some anonymity and also
> > > keep things separated (different addresses for different things
> > > that I do/am interested in - - - that kind of thing) - - - - I
> > > can be found just using my first name - - - - which is great if
> > > you like a 5' dia target on your butt but if you don't - - - -
> > > well - - - its just no fun!!!!
> >
> > ..back in the 1990ies before Groklaw.net ate all my time online, I
> > used to use exmh and later sylpheed for email and pan on my usenet
> > traffic to keep my email and usenet traffic separated, they looked
> > different enough to remind me of WTF I was doing.
>
> That's one way of doing things (grin!).
> I severely limit the time that I spend looking for things to just
> projects I'm working on - - - - that list is also not small.
> Finding that the web used to be a great research tool but its
> usefulness has been sliding for quite some time!

..indeed, I find my own mail tree more useful.

> > ..you might be able to do something similar playing around with
> > colorful theme setups hooked up to each mail ID, otherwise just
> > use different MUAs, e.g. exmh, mutt, kmail etc, one for each ID.
>
> (Grin) There just aren't that many different MUAs - - - lol.

..then use the same MUA in all your new X users, where you set up
one for each email ID, each with its own different colorful X theme,
then do a "for i in $(ls /home) ;do ssh -X $i@localhost claws ;done"
style loop, and then drop each into its own virtual desktop, (each
with its own background colorful picture etc) if you ever need to
cut-n-paste between any of them.

..ssh loops can be done with passwordless ssh keys if passwords
as email ID remainders annoy you.

..works with both my fetchmail+procmail setup and Terryc's mail
server setup.

..should also work with Xnest or xserver-xephyr, which should
more colorfully help you keep track of what you do where.
Using different window managers for each email ID "might" be
overkill for what you wanna do, themes and colors should do it
as well as you damned please.

..to split up etc your email tree(s?), use procmail's formail,
or install and use mairix. Reading up on claws, I found they
still use procmail rules in claws documentation, and formail
is also a very neat test tool for procmail rules, so procmail
still rules! ;o)

> > > The is where I really don't know squat about what I need to do.
> > >
> > > So besides claws I will need to set up fetchmail and procmail - -
> > > - do I understand that correctly?
> >
> > ..yep, and I now see you'll prefer getmail and maildrop,
> > 1) because they are easier to set up, even by newbies,
> > 2) because they are newer and better supported by people
> > who still remember HTF they set them up, and 3) I've
> > touched my setup maybe 10 times since the 1990ies, no
> > more than 25 times when including cut-n-pasting configs
> > on simply moving my Mail/ tree etc onto new disks.
> >
> > > If I set up a hosted domain will I be able to set that up as an
> > > email recipient (group) for my addresses?
> >
> > ..yep, me, I just use fetchmail to fetch _all_ my mail, and procmail
> > to drop it home into my, er, quite messy Mail/ tree and read it with
> > claws, no need for any fancy imap etc proxy server unless you wanna
> > mess around reading your email on e.g. your wife's phone.
> >
> > > Sorry - - - I just beat these things to death (lots of fun that!)
> > > but have only started my 'peeking' under the hood!
> > >
> > > Thanks for the ideas!!!
> >
> > ..you're welcome, you're also welcome to play guinea pig
> > on all the fancy new stuff in this thread. ;o)
> >
> In areas that I find critical for business (and at least sorta for
> sanity) I refuse to experiment. I've done enough experimenting in the
> past. No longer is 4 weeks working trying to repair a borked system an
> idea I want to consider! Some things just gotta work and email is
> one of them

..no need for such gambling, see above. ;o)

> - - so sorry - - - - I'll pass on being a willing victim
> - - - I'll likely find enough issues just using bog standard tools as
> it is!
>
> Thanks for the time and the assistance!!!

Scenarios always come in sets of three: