:: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right w…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: o1bigtenor
À: Arnt Karlsen
CC: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right word??)
On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 8:42 PM Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:28:45 -0600, o1bigtenor wrote in message
> <CAPpdf59Zhr_ucwTpv3bL7i_EPenc6U4s-g3ceqRkmNRowwFExA@???>:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 12:32 PM Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???> wrote:

> > > ..er, I did miss this, yes, it can do that, and you've done enough
> > > emailing to learn why you don't want that mess. It can even sort
> > > your email tree if you wanna try the email client lock-in gamble.
> >
> > I use the different addresses to create some anonymity and also
> > keep things separated (different addresses for different things that
> > I do/am interested in - - - that kind of thing) - - - - I can be found
> > just using my first name - - - - which is great if you like a 5' dia
> > target on your butt but if you don't - - - - well - - - its just no
> > fun!!!!
>
> ..back in the 1990ies before Groklaw.net ate all my time online, I
> used to use exmh and later sylpheed for email and pan on my usenet
> traffic to keep my email and usenet traffic separated, they looked
> different enough to remind me of WTF I was doing.

That's one way of doing things (grin!).
I severely limit the time that I spend looking for things to just projects
I'm working on - - - - that list is also not small.
Finding that the web used to be a great research tool but its usefulness
has been sliding for quite some time!

> ..you might be able to do something similar playing around with
> colorful theme setups hooked up to each mail ID, otherwise just
> use different MUAs, e.g. exmh, mutt, kmail etc, one for each ID.

(Grin) There just aren't that many different MUAs - - - lol.

> > > ..if you find good old fetchmail, procmail feeding your MH tree, too
> > > old fashion, there are newer toys out there, e.g. getmail, maildrop,
> > > and you can also feed all your email into your own database setup.
> > > I've not tested any of these new toys.
> > >
> > The is where I really don't know squat about what I need to do.
> >
> > So besides claws I will need to set up fetchmail and procmail - - -
> > do I understand that correctly?
>
> ..yep, and I now see you'll prefer getmail and maildrop,
> 1) because they are easier to set up, even by newbies,
> 2) because they are newer and better supported by people
> who still remember HTF they set them up, and 3) I've
> touched my setup maybe 10 times since the 1990ies, no
> more than 25 times when including cut-n-pasting configs
> on simply moving my Mail/ tree etc onto new disks.
>
> > If I set up a hosted domain will I be able to set that up as an email
> > recipient (group) for my addresses?
>
> ..yep, me, I just use fetchmail to fetch _all_ my mail, and procmail
> to drop it home into my, er, quite messy Mail/ tree and read it with
> claws, no need for any fancy imap etc proxy server unless you wanna
> mess around reading your email on e.g. your wife's phone.
>
> > Sorry - - - I just beat these things to death (lots of fun that!) but
> > have only started my 'peeking' under the hood!
> >
> > Thanks for the ideas!!!
>
> ..you're welcome, you're also welcome to play guinea pig
> on all the fancy new stuff in this thread. ;o)

In areas that I find critical for business (and at least sorta for sanity)
I refuse to experiment. I've done enough experimenting in the past.
No longer is 4 weeks working trying to repair a borked system an
idea I want to consider! Some things just gotta work and email is
one of them - - so sorry - - - - I'll pass on being a willing victim - - -
I'll likely find enough issues just using bog standard tools as it is!

Thanks for the time and the assistance!!!