:: Re: [DNG] Latest network-manager 1.…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Martin Steigerwald
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: DNG
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Latest network-manager 1.44.2-5devuan1 wants to remove isc-dhcp-client
Didier Kryn - 22.11.23, 17:25:08 CET:
> > So seems Network Manager automatically switches to internal DHCP in
> > that case.
>
>      I came to dislike NM long ago, probably because it didn't exclude
> ifupdown and was constantly in its way. Later I discovered it was a
> creation of LP and I disliked it even  more. I'd like to stay with
> ifupdown. I'd better like to have an application which provides DHCP
> client service and nothing else... do one thing and do it well.

I understand.

I had a long dance of install NM, see it does not work correctly,
uninstall NM, install NM at a later time and so on… however meanwhile for
me it does the job. And: It integrates very well with my desktop
environment Plasma.

So I use it for my laptops. At least some of them are in different network
environments often enough. While ethernet is usually just DHCP, WLAN is
more complex. And NM works quite well for different WLANs nowadays.

So while I am not 100% behind some of the decisions and ideas behind
network manager, such as nonsense like /etc/NetworkManager or a process
name with part lower and upper case letters as well, at the moment it a
solution I do not need to invest much time with to get it to behave to my
liking. And as long as it can work without Systemd, I am fine enough with
for now. Also I think Lennart Poettering is not involved with network
manager anymore or at least not much.

But I understand. So best of luck with whatever combination of tools you
choose to use.

--
Martin