:: [DNG] OT: build system research
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
A: [DNG]
Asunto: [DNG] OT: build system research
Hello folks,

I'd like to let you know about one of my current research projects:

model based build system -- http://github.com/metux/go-metabuild

Rationale:

Classic build systems (make, autotools, cmake, ...) are rules based.
While they're capable of a lot things, some major points still missing,
eg. hanling distro specific aspects, including packaging.

I'm now taking a radically different approach: a high level model which
really knows about the *structure* of some SW package, eg. libraries,
programs, locales, manpages, etc, etc. Instead of describing the build
process via rules, the developers now just declare what their SW is made
of - anyhing else is derived automatically from that.

That way, it's possible to deduce the platform and distro specifi
process by a very minimal project description plus platform/distro
specific policies. The final goal is enabling upstreams to write SW
that's packaged (almost) automatically while still respecting distro
specific policies - thus radically simplifying dist maintainer's job.

Right now I'm working w/ some example packages (zlib, lincity) that
can be successfully built and packaged w/ minimal changes. Adding
more stuff soon.

Feel free to play w/ it and tell me what you think.

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert