:: Re: [DNG] OT: Super duper (was: Re:…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Boian Bonev
A: Martin Steigerwald, dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] OT: Super duper (was: Re: RAM errors)
Hi,

On Fri, 2023-11-10 at 10:55 +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> David L. Craig via Dng - 10.11.23, 10:41:22 CET:

> > > My bank account isn't THAT super.  lol
> >
> > Indeed.  The power consumption is also super, with most
> > configurations requiring three-phase circuits.
>
> I do not except a IBM z16 mainframe to draw less power than above Talos
> Secure Workstation, even if the latter would be equipped with two of those
> crazy 22 core Power9 v2 CPUs.

The Talos is under 500W, while z16 comes in a couple of full height rack setups
that can easily exceed 50kW a couple of times...

Let's also clarify that pSeries are ppc64le, while z16, also known as zSeries
is s390x... Devuan supports ppc64le but not the s390x.

> However it when it comes to performance per watt… would be interesting how
> these systems compare with a typical x86 PC and also a typical x86 laptop.

They are incomparable - x86 is kind of a joke in terms of performance.

I have an old and small Power8 server that easily outperforms modern Xeon
Golds... Used price is very decent, but unlike the Talos it is definitely not a
good idea to keep at home, because of the noise. I didn't properly measure its
power consumption, I'd guess it is about 800W.

With best regards,
b.