:: Re: [DNG] RAM errors
Top Pagina
Auteur: onefang
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] RAM errors
On 2023-11-08 11:27:23, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Martin Steigerwald - 08.11.23, 09:05:02 CET:
> > > I did use that when I first built it. I'm now looking for something
> > > that can run in the background, so I don't have to be without my
> > > computer for that long. Otherwise I'd have to be without my computer
> > > while it runs for a month trying to catch an intermittent problem.
> >
> > There is memtester in the package of the same name.
> >
> > Naturally it would not be able to test RAM that is currently in use.
>
> Another addition to the RAM topic:
>
> "lsmem" (from "util-linux") lists memory areas. With "-a" all of them.
>
> With "chmem" you can temparily disable memory regions at runtime.
>
> So after you found out which RAM bar it is, you may test your suspicion by
> removing the specific RAM region with "chmem".

Thanks for that.

> Disclaimer: This is all at your own risk. Removing RAM at runtime still
> sounds quite a bit like asking for trouble to me. I tried it once out of
> curiosity and it appeared to work. However… in any case you get to keep
> the results, even if those are undesirable :). I advice against physically
> removing the RAM bar at runtime after issuing "chmem", unless you are 100%
> sure that your hardware is prepared to handle hot removal.

My super desktop weighs 20 kg, and I'd have to pull it apart to be able
to pull RAM, including pulling the CPU cooler off. Not gonna do that
while it's live. Also I doubt my motherboard is hot swappable RAM.
Never heard of that.

That's why I said to map it out. Just allocating that particular bit of
memory once it's been discovered, doesn't have to be the entire stick if
the memory testing shows it's consistanly one small region of memory.
Allocate it at boot time, nothing else will try to use that, coz it's
been allocated. Looks like this is more or less what chmem does, I can
specify particular addresses.

> I'd still test with memtest86+ and just replace the offending RAM bar. I do
> not really have experience concluding the affected RAM bar from the output
> of memtest86+, but maybe others know how to do that.

I shall mention again. I already did memtest86+ when I built it. 256 GB
RAM, that's not gonna test in a hurry. It's an intermittant fault, so
I'd have to be without my computer for a month or two if I went this
route. That ain't gonna happen. lol