:: Re: [DNG] Irony
Página Inicial
Autor: onefang
Para: dng
Novos Tópicos: [DNG] RAM errors (was: Re: Irony)
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Irony
On 2023-11-08 00:50:53, Steve Litt wrote:
> onefang said on Wed, 8 Nov 2023 14:43:19 +1000
>
> >On 2023-11-07 22:37:47, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >> Nothing! It just continues to run. If I like broken memory detection
> >> and some action on broken memory, totally fine, but then I have that
> >> as a separate watchdog kind of service that I install where I need
> >> it.
> >
> >I have 256 GB of RAM, and 64 cores / 128 threads in this super desktop
> >of mine. Every now and then I get a segfault in some random thing. I
> >had upgraded to the 6.1 kernel so I can get reports about which core
> >just segfaulted, it's random each time. So I suspect its RAM.
> >
> >Is this a specific broken memory watchdog thing you are talking about?
> >If so, what is it?
>
> I don't know what Martin was speaking of, but I use memtest86, a
> bootable CD that's its own operating system specifically to test RAM.
> With 256 GB RAM I'd guess the test will take over 24 hours. I wouldn't
> set it to use all cores because of overheating.

I did use that when I first built it. I'm now looking for something that
can run in the background, so I don't have to be without my computer for
that long. Otherwise I'd have to be without my computer while it runs
for a month trying to catch an intermittent problem.

> >I'd prefer something that can just map out the
> >broken byte/s, I have plenty.
>
> "Mapping out" bad RAM isn't a good idea. See the documentation for
> memtest86. It's better to replace the bad RAM. In my case, my RAM went
> bad after a year, so I just took out one stick and now I have 48GB RAM
> instead of 64. Pretty soon this kind of RAM will be cheap enough to buy
> four sticks of *high quality* RAM.

It might not be a good idea, but I'm on a pension, and still recovering
from having to move twice this year, with the likelihood I'll have to
move again next year. So it's the cheap option I can afford. The sticks
are paired in this computer, you can't take out just one, you have to
take out two.