Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] How to force permission change?
On 10/24/23 17:14, tempforever wrote:
> Fred wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I believe the DNS321 is running some version of Linux but admin
>> doesn't have access to the OS.  I access them by samba although ftp
>> also works. Their target market is, of course, Windows.
>>
>> There are thousands of files on there that do show permissions and
>> ownership:
>>
>> fred@ragnok:~$ ls -l /mnt/dns321/pdf_1/W5300.pdf
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 502 502 1740845 Sep 25  2011 /mnt/dns321/pdf_1/W5300.pdf
>>
>> There are 23 files in two directories that have the funky permissions
>> I showed earlier and can't be read.  I don't know how they came by the
>> funky permissions as I originally just mv or cp them to the NAS box.
>>

> User manual at
> https://ftp.dlink.ca/ftp/PRODUCTS/DNS-321/DNS-321_MANUAL_1.00_EN.PDF
>
> Are you able to access its web-based configuration?
>
> Under the "Advanced" tab, there are Users and Groups.  I don't know if
> the "No." listed will be the same as the uid/gid that is reported.  If
> so, look for the user/group 501 to see what user needs to log in via
> cifs to change the file permissions on the file you listed earlier
> (/pdf_6/ELCON_UL9_cap.pdf).  Or move right to "Network Access" (still in
> the "Advanced" tab) and change the user permissions there on the desired
> folder.

Hi,

I do have admin access to the DNS321. I will look at this as soon as I
have time. It does appear the DNS321 is refusing to change the
permissions. I found a pdf that had 777 permissions and tried to turn
off execute and this was refused.

For a long term solution I should scrounge up another computer that can
run Devuan and use NFS for my NAS box.

Thanks for the help!

Best regards,
Fred