:: Re: [DNG] Harbour programming langu…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Adrian Zaugg
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Harbour programming language
Hi Steve

In der Nachricht vom Saturday, 14 October 2023 07:22:05 CEST schrieb Steve
Litt:
> What I'm discovering is that Harbour *might* make a pretty good
> substitute for shellscripts, especially shellscripts that loop a lot,
> because looping in shellscripts is *incredibly* slow. I'll keep you in

If you think of this as a replacement for system shell scripts, I would
strongly oppose: Every decent sysadmin can understand shell scripts and
correct them or write its own. We use the shell every day and do constantly
repeat and learn about. It's a natural fit. Thus replacing shell scripts in
the system with something exotic I consider a bad idea.

If you menat it for ones personal little hacks or projects, thank you for
pointing it out.

Regards, Adrian.

P.S.:
- Loops in shell scripts are not always necessary, sed, grep and the other
shell friends can often be used without a loop.

- Loops do get slow in shell scripts, when you instantiate a command in each
turn. If you use bash internals inside the loop (or what ever shell you use)
it is as fast as any other loop elsewhere.