著者: o1bigtenor
To: dvalin
CC: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] What wireless broadband software to use on Devuan?
On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 6:47 PM <dvalin@???> wrote:

> On 25.09.23 06:08, o1bigtenor wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 12:05 AM <dvalin@???> wrote:
> > > Some equipment vendors sell the reporting as a feature; you can
> > > check your system's performance and status on their portal, from
> > > anywhere in the world.
> > >
> > Dunno - - - to me it sounds more like big brother is watching and
> > controlling.
> >
> > I would be more than somewhat careful about siting stuff but I would also
> > not be allowing uncontrolled access to the internet.
>
> Yes, I'm thinking of allowing only outgoing packets for reporting.

Methinks I would limit the number of contact times per day as well.
(I just don't like having someone peeking over my shoulder all the time!)

> > Unfettered access means that someone else runs my system - - - that
> > means I'm not really the owner - - - which would prompt the question
> > from me - - - if you want to manage it that closely - - - I need to
> > find something that I'm allowed to run (get that 'stuff' out of
> > here!!). (I would bet that if their controller - - - especially the
> > software - - borks that you would still be responsible for the mess.
> > That point would really need clarification imo.)
>
> The norm, at least as pushed by installers, is to allow them access,
> with password protection, so they can remotely diagnose and maybe
> tweak, in the event of an issue. So the customer is disempowered with
> most commercial systems, but for many that's by far the safest. The
> Victron controller runs a Linux variant, and grabbing root access
> locally is trivial. As the SW is open source, anything too annoying
> can be tweaked, if you're up for the merging hassle when upgrading from
> their repository. If it's only config scripts you're mucking with, then
> it's much easier.

Hmmmmm - - - agreed for most - - - as most are not at all technical
such outside might be less stressful and result in a better managed
system. I am not just a wee bit technical - - I'd be wanting to do my
own installation yet - - - at least at this point - - - or at least significant
parts of it (grin!).

> If I save some money by building my own battery bank(s) with high
> capacity prismatic LiFePO₄ cells (16 for 48v) and a commercial BMS (the
> JK 16S BMS has a good in-built cell balancer, and doesn't need MSW for
> config.), then there's somewhat limited warranty, and no reporting needed.
> As for the inverters, just buying a new one is quicker than making a
> warranty claim, I figure (I'm designing in a couple of middle sized
> units, rather than one big one, for redundancy - kinda useful when off
> grid.) Oh, the JK talks to the Victron controller, giving full battery
> stats in the console, right down to individual cell voltages.

Sounds like you have a great design layout - - - at least - - - imo.
(Am learning that redundancy is a very good thing!!!)

> For those wanting to be in control of their stuff, it is still possible,
> with careful system design.

I have found that a 'let them do their stuff' kind of design results in
a system that isn't optimized for here. Minor tweaks can really change
things when a system is viewed as a 25 year purchase rather than
a get 'er done kind of thing.

(I do hope I haven't been too rambunctious on here. Our local grid
is ever so tightly controlling how any solar, or any other optional
power systems for that matter, are setup. Given their nonchalance
re: system reliability and their disdain for even some system
maintenance (maintenance happens when things break - - - and
almost only then) is encouraging me to work toward going off grid.)

Regards