:: Re: [DNG] Daedalus install issue
Top Pagina
Auteur: Tim Wallace
Aan: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Daedalus install issue
The netinstall put non-free-firmware in my apt sources.list.  Not sure if anything was installed from there during the installation.
--Tim

    On Monday, September 4, 2023 at 09:46:21 PM EDT, Ralph Ronnquist <rrq@???> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 05, 2023 at 01:27:07AM +0000, Tim Wallace via Dng wrote:
> I did an upgrade from chimaera on a system76 laptop and it went flawlessly.  It's a pretty generic install and I mostly use it when I travel.
> Today I tried to do my server/main desktop, ASR motherboard with i7-4790K, 32 GB ram and GeForce GTX 1660 graphics card.  There's a lot going on there, so I don't want to risk an upgrade.  I prefer to do a bare install so I have notes on everything I need to install anywhere.  I of course use a separate partition so I can boot both and take a few days or a week to upgrade different pieces like virtualbox.
>
> After doing the install, the system did not boot, which is common for me with this system.  I guess I should just tell it not to install grub.  My UEFI bios was able to be set to the right thing to boot and I got things straightened out.  However, I then did not get a graphical interface, just a console.  startx just silently failed.  The log showed a core dump due to illegal memory access and a backtrace which meant nothing to me; the nouveau driver was of course being used.  (I didn't immediately save the log and it seems to be overwritten now.)
>
> Rather than asking for help with nouveau, I added contrib and non-free to my apt sources from the console, and installed the Nvidia driver, which I ordinarily use anyway since nouveau cannot handle 60 fps 4K videos.  All is well now, but I thought I'd report this in case anyone else experiences it.  Nouveau used to work, just not fast.

As a hunch: for reasons that possibly can be explained, Debian added
the section "non-free-firmware" to their bookworm repo(s) and moved
the firmware packages previously in "non-free" into there. Devuan
daedalus of course inherited that. Possibly you had not prepared for
this particular novelty and if so that might explain your nouveau
problem.

regards,

Ralph.