:: Re: [DNG] Routing or maybe router i…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: o1bigtenor
A: tito
CC: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Routing or maybe router issues
On Sat, Sep 2, 2023 at 3:03 PM tito via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Sep 2023 13:54:23 -0600
> <crichmon@???> wrote:
>
> > OK, now were getting somewhere...
> > > 1st box is a "fiber media converter" from the isp.

> > >one ethernet cable
> > Does it have more than one LAN port? If not, do you have a switch you can put
> > between the fiber media converter and the router? The point is to be able to set
> > up the OPNsense box without disturbing your existing network. BTW, have you
> > ever set up an OPNsense box before? Do you have a good tutorial to work from?

> > > 6 leds on one side of box (same as cables and opposite of power entry)
> > I meant a web page or console login. Inside, it has to have something running
> > a minimal network stack and maybe a dhcp server, unless it's simply a bridge.
> > Do you know one way or the other?

> > > lan port is 192.168.1.9
> > > wan port is 38.xx.xx.xxx
> > And the 38.x.x.x is coming from the ISP's box or the ISP remotely? (bridging question)

> > >1 cable to a 16 port unmanaged switch (10/100 MBit - - - new 10/100/1000 24 port is coming)
> > OK

> > >Only if you understood my naming system.
> > :^)

> > > Well when the router itself says that the cable is disconnected (and its visually not true)
> > Which cable? Does that connection have idiot light blinking or are they dark?
> >
> > > and a power cycle on the router clears the web access issue - - - well the previous isp tech team was the source of that likelihood.
> > So, on Windows, this is supposed to work: ipconfig /flushdns. For Linux, it depends on if you even have
> > a DNS server and which one. Unless you set one up, I'm guessing you don't have one configured.
> > One thing you can do on your Linux boxes is: cat /etc/resolv.conf
> > This will tell you who on your network claims to be your DNS server.
> > Similarly, you should be able to figure out who your dhcp server is. On one of my
> > RPi's requires this: dhcpcd --dumplease eth0
> > On a devuan VM, this works: cat /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.eth0.leases
> > I'm betting in both cases, your router is the DNS cache as well as the DHCP server. If
> > that's the case, then rebooting your main box shouldn't be required.

> > >Linux devuanmain 6.1.0-10-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.38-1
> > And that takes 10's of minutes to reboot? Too much stuff loading? Not enough memory?

> > >Correct in theory but when I can't figure out how to clear the dns cache - - - well its the likeliest solution (even if it's a pita).
> > If you don't have a DNS cache on that box, there's nothing to clear.

> > > I have asked a number of times about this.
> > > Have been told that I'm supposed to install more software - - - unbound was one recommended hasn't happened because I knew the new isp was happening soon and didn't want even more things that could go wrong with the previous > ISP (world class uselessness they were generally).
> > > Wanted to have the opnsense box ready and configured before they completed the install.
> [...]

IPFire was under consideration - - - until I found that it doesn't support ipv6
and they've been working to get that support for some 4 or 5 years already
and haven't been able to get things completed. (I'm no programmer so I would
be no help in that odyssey!) That was when I went to:

I considered both pfsense and opnsense.
pfsense was in my opinion deprecated when I found a bunch of emails to and
from support where it seemed like the trend in pfsense was to closed source.
Even if I'm not a programmer I want to use open source.

Got badly burned with VMs a few years ago and haven't ventured back.
I don't really have that much time to spare to blow a few hundred hours
like the last time to find myself with a system that someone else was
controlling. (Sorry - - - I'm seeing little benign from too many of the
vm proponent architectures.)

It would seem that all of these type of systems are designed for
experts - - - of which I am not one. I have gotten some interesting stuff
done here but I follow 'recipes'.

I may have to go back to considering something like ipfire.

Alternative is getting another switch - - - one is coming next week.

Thanks for the time and assistance.