:: Re: [DNG] Routing or maybe router i…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: tito
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Routing or maybe router issues - troubleshooting
On Sat, 2 Sep 2023 06:51:52 -0500
o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Greetings
>
> Situation: have just moved to a new ISP - - - fiber optic direct to my
> equipment so I'm finally done with the terrible speeds and worse
> support on a fixed wired high speed (total misnomer) ISP.
>
> Router is an ASUS RTN12D1 running a variant of dd-wrt 3.0.0.4.380_8120
> at lan ip 192.168.1.9 .
> (Really want to relegate this m/c to working only as a wireless AP!!
> Have been having DNS issues sporadically over the last couple weeks.
> Usually taking a router power cycle AND me to reboot my main box so
> that I could have web access again (wireless access would happen
> without system reboot).)
> Have an i5 m/c with OPNsense installed. Its telling me that its lan ip
> is 192.168.1.208.
> (I cannot ping this machine from my main box. Cannot get access using
> a web portal either. Need to complete the configuration of this setup
> and would like this to be my new router.)
> Have a NanoPiR4S (4GB version) with OpenWRT installed but not
> configured. Asus router says that its lap ip is 192.168.1.1 .
> (I cannot ping this machine from my main box. Cannot get access using
> Luci either because I cannot complete the configuration of the
> machine.)
> Wife's cell phone says its connected to the network but has not web access.
> (Can see the m/c on the router - its ip address is 192.168.1.228. Can
> ping this m/c from my main box but the times vary considerably.)
> My cell phone is connected to the network and has web access.
> (Can see the m/c on the router - its ip address is 192.168.1.30. Can
> ping this m/c from my main box and the times vary considerably (not as
> much as previous cell phone but her's is also further from the
> router.)
> I only have one option for internet access so when I shut down the
> asus router - - - no web - - - so I can't troubleshoot or access
> configuration recipes.
>
> So - - - - am I having all these issues because I have a number of
> router class m/cs running all at the same time?
> Is the asus router getting flakey?
> (Is some software being stretched too far (dd-wrt)?)
> These issues are about driving be crackers - - - - please anyone out
> there with experience and ideas (besides cables not being plugged in -
> - - tried that too).
>
> TIA
>
> (Almost thinking of writing TL;DR at the beginning!!)

Hi,
An example of setup could be:

fiber---> OPNSENSE router/gateway/dhcp server/firewall (192.168.1.1)

                                     |_  connect to the WAN port of ->  ASUS wireless AP/ dhcp relay

That way clients connected on the router and clients connected on the wireless AP will be on the same
network 192.168.1.0 and can communicate between them. This is the simplest setup.

Another example of setup could be:

fiber---> OPNSENSE router/gateway/dhcp server/firewall (192.168.1.1)

                                     |_  connect to the WAN port  of ->  ASUS wireless AP (192.168.2.1)/dhcp server

That way clients connected to the router and clients connected to wireless AP will be on different networks
192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0 and could be separated if desired depending on firewall rules.

I would go for example n° 1 KISS.

So first connect your box to the OPNSENSE box and set it up to be 192.168.1.1.
If you want your box to have always the same IP address reserve a range of
ip addresses in the dhcp setup for static assigned ip addresses or use the
bind ip to mac feature.
When you can easily access the OPNSENSE box web interface connect
the fiber to the OPENSENSE WAN port and setup and test connection.
Then connect the ASUS wireless WAN PORT the a OPENSENSE LAN port.
If you can access the ASUS web interface set ip up as DHCP relay,
otherwise connect directly to a ASUS LAN port to set it up.
WIFI settings could stay the same.
Hope that I did not forget any essential step (but I probably have)
and that it helps you somehow.

Ciao,
Tito