:: Re: [DNG] No sound after upgrading …
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Alessandro Vesely
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] No sound after upgrading to daedalus
On Tue 29/Aug/2023 21:08:21 +0200 Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:28:46 +0200, Alessandro
>
>> now I have this new package, pipewire, which I don't recall. If I
>> try to uninstall it, apt-get would automatically install pulseaudio,
>> which I had removed a long time ago.
>>
>> Pipewire is not running. If I launch it, it raises a bunch of errors.
>
> ..yup, because it needs wireplumber. Install and start wireplumber,
> then start pipewire (Or was it the other way around? I run too long
> sessions.) then try alsamixer, which should show "Pipewire" both as
> "Card" and "Chip" and one volume bar.

Now that I've managed to uninstall it, I don't think I'll turn back. However, I'd be curious to learn what's the intended advantage of having all that machinery on top of alsa —which seems to be already complicated at will. I mean, for average users that only occasionally might use a mic or edit an audio file.

About month long sessions, I use to freeze the pc (resuming takes less than making a cup of coffee.) Everything flows well, except audio buffers sometimes behave strangely, but I don't know how to flush them. Manually stopping before freezing takes more clicks and more attention than needed. I posted a question on Unix&Linux, but no answers yet:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/754973/stopping-all-sounds-before-freezing-restarting-after-wake-up

Any idea?

Best
Ale