著者: Ludovic Bellière
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] DNS problem help request
On Sat, 26 Aug 2023, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:

>Issue this time:
>
>after wakeup go to computer - - - not able to access the web
>check router - - - WAN is accessible
>ping 8.8.8.8 destination unreachable
>ping router - - (WTF) destination unreachable

This tends to means that the physical connection from your computer to the
router is troubled. Or that the destination is not responsive, which would
happen if it powered down or suffered a crash.

>power cycle the router
>can now ping 8.8.8.8 but not mz googly.ca

What are yours dns servers? Are they responsive? Do you use dhcp?

>I call tech support - - - they tell me to just clear the DNS cache on my puter
>sadly - - - this is something I do not know how to do (!!!)

There's no DNS cache installed by default. For that you'd need something like
dnsmasq, which can be used as a cache. The necessity for caches is to reduce
chatter on the network for redundant requests. That is, if you already asked for
the ip address of a website in the last second, why ask the authority again?

>Is there someone out there that can help me with either the command(s)
>or the process so I don't have to reboot my system to clear my DNS
>issues - - - please?

You'll suffer loss of connectivity if you are using DHCP and the exchange
between your client and the router doesn't go well. To figure out if something
broke on your machine, you'll have to take a look at /var/log. Identify the
service that handle connectivity, if there is one, then:

         grep -r servicename /var/log

You'll have to tune that yourself to get the most recent output.

Other than that, there isn't enough information in your complaint form to give
you a proper answer. The GNU/Linux ethos means that you'll have to figure a lot
by yourself. Not because people are jerks, but because we know next to nothing
about your setup. Maybe your router is dying, or a bad product. Maybe your
ethernet cable is crooked. Maybe your computer is too old. Who knows? Maybe a
you'll find the sword of Martin the Warrior. (see: https://xkcd.com/1722/ )

--
Cheers,
                 Ludovic