:: Re: [DNG] DNS problem help request
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: o1bigtenor
À: Hendrik Boom
CC: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] DNS problem help request
On Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 1:07 PM Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 26, 2023 at 04:24:25PM -0500, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 26, 2023 at 3:36 PM Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
> > >
> > > o1bigtenor via Dng said on Sat, 26 Aug 2023 08:36:26 -0500

> > > What's mz googly?
> >
> > A euphemism for google.

> > > if ping 8.8.8.8 fails, that particular symptom has nothing to do with
> > > DNS.

> > > OK, if you can't get to the router you can't get to 8.8.8.8, so that's
> > > consistant.

> > > Serious business, if you want help, you need to define your terms. I
> > > pinged googly.ca and got back:
> > >
> > > [slitt@mydesk ~]$ ping googly.ca
> > > ping: googly.ca: No address associated with hostname
> > > [slitt@mydesk ~]$
> > >
> > > I have no idea what mz googly is, and I shouldn't have to rtfm the
> > > phrase just to help you. I doubt I'm the only one.
> > >
> > > I did, however, take the time to ping and browse and traceroute to
> > > googly.com, and found out it's my local nginx server on 127.0.0.1.

> > The following is an excellent answer to a question I didn't ask.
> >
> > > There's no substitute for a local DNS resolver. What you can do is to
> > > install the Unbound recursive resolver daemon on your computer, then
> > > edit /etc/resolv.conf to always point to that daemon's IP address (I
> > > use 192.168.0.102, which is an alias for my desktop's main IP of
> > > 192.168.0.2). Immediately after, chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf to prevent
> > > "helpful" DNS programs like networkmanager, etc, from "helpfully"
> > > changing that file. I do it like this:
> > >
> > > chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf;vim /etc/resolv.conf;chattr +i
> > > /etc/resolv.conf
> > >
> > > By the way, it might be a good idea to list one or two public name
> > > servers after the one pointing to Unbound's address. For one using
> > > Linux, I see no reason in the 21st century to depend on the DNS server
> > > provided by your ISP.
> > >
> > > The following document is an introduction to Unbound:
> > >
> > > http://troubleshooters.com/linux/unbound_nsd/unbound.htm
> > >
> > > After reading that document, you'll be able to RTFM your way to
> > > success, and from the perspective of DNS, your ISP will forever be out
> > > of the loop.
> > >

> > A good answer but an answer to the question - - - - how do I install a
> > dns server
> > on my system.
> >
> > My question was and still is - - if I'm getting dns resolution on my router
> > how and/or what do I change so that I can now access the internet from
> > my computer.
> >
> > What I've been able to find " $ service connman restart " dunno if that
> > will fix things.
>
> I do not like connman.
>
> connman maintains its own DNS cache.
> I have found no method to delete its cache.
> I ran into troule with this while attempting to update my Devian system.
> t seems the round-robin choice of Devuan package repositiry mirrors happened to choose a dud mirror.
> So the update failed.
> [...]

OK - - - I found, previously, that network-manager - - - imo anyway,
wasn't wonderful, before that
it was wicd - - - now I'm seeing that connman is also a royal pita - -
- - what's left - - - - I can
only find IWCtl - - - - is there a good alternative?

Suggestions - - - - ?

Thanks for the tip mr Hendrik!

Regards