:: [DNG] Metaverse hype Was: tryng to …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: onefang
À: dng
Anciens-sujets: Re: [DNG] tryng to install virt-manager on Devuan 4 : ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'gi'
Sujet: [DNG] Metaverse hype Was: tryng to install virt-manager on Devuan 4 : ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'gi'
On 2023-08-22 19:06:45, Steve Litt wrote:
> onefang said on Tue, 22 Aug 2023 15:44:32 +1000
>
> >On 2023-08-22 01:13:52, Steve Litt wrote:
> >> onefang said on Tue, 22 Aug 2023 11:18:06 +1000

> >> OK, just so we're all on the same page, which technologies are real
> >> virtual world stuff, and which are metaverse crap?
> >
> >Did you not read the rest of that paragraph?
>
> Yes, I read it, and whether the paragraph is ambiguous or I'm dense, I
> don't know which technologies are real virtual world stuff, and which
> are metaverse crap. So either way, could you please elaborate on which
> are metaverse crap. Please tell me like you'd tell a ten year old.

When FaceBook became Meta, they started hyping their "new" metaverse
concept. Their current implementation of this concept is Horizon Worlds.
A recent article about that can be found here -

https://www.roadtovr.com/meta-shooter-improves-horizon-worlds-quest-2/

Note the claim of “better graphics". Yet it's still worse graphics than
Second Life had 16 years ago. Second Life graphics have improved since
then. Compare the avatars.

If you have not heard of Second Life, it is a social 3D virtual world
where users built the world themselves, using the in world tools. It
started more than 16 years ago.

https://secondlife.com

My "16 years ago" refers to OpenSim, which DID start 16 years ago. It's
an open source clean room implementation of the Second Life server.
Second Life had open sourced their viewer, so there are several open
source third party viewers, and the protocol had been documented.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page

OpenSim, being open source, anyone can run it, or mess with the source
code. I do so myself, and have even been paid to work on Second Life,
the viewers, and OpenSim viewers.

OpenSim invented something they call hypergrid, which is basically a
method of travelling and interacting with other OpenSim worlds. SO you
can travel to them, make friends on these other worlds, do everything you
can do on your own world (except admin type activities), carry stuff
between worlds. This is something the metaverse hype has promised as a
future thing.

Metaverse also claims VR device support. One of the things I added to an
OpenSim viewer was VR device support, which I did before Oculus released
their first consumer version, I was using the development kit. Other
viewers also have that, mine wasn't the first, think I was second.

I think there is only one thing left in the list of metaverse features
that isn't currently supported by OpenSim and Second Life, but the Second
Life developers are working on it. The viewer I'm currently using has
that experimental support. This is known as puppetry, where you can
control your avatar in the same way you would control a string puppet.
Mostly in OpenSim and Second Life it's pre-made animations, though your
head and eyes do follow your mouse, and your right arm will point to
anything you are building.

I made a metaverse parody world using OpenSim that I call metaverse
farted. I did try to make things as low quality as Horizon Worlds, but
couldn't quite get that low. I also included some of the 16 year old
trees and clouds for comparison. Anyone can use hypergrid from any other
OpenSim world to visit it. Here's the hypergrid URI -

http://metaverse.farted.net:19102/