:: Re: [DNG] OT: helpful hints to avoi…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] OT: helpful hints to avoid a frequent spelling error (Re: system update)
Manfred Wassmann via Dng said on Fri, 18 Aug 2023 06:16:56 +0000

>Actually the a/an rule seems pretty straightforward to me when
>1. you are aware it's the sound that matters not the written initial
>letter 2. you read it aloud, at least in your head (and that's why I
>got it wrong here at first)
>and I think it's rather useful as it sounds a bit like stutter if you
>get it wrong.

The preceding is exactly how I make the determination when writing
documentation and books. Because I'm a native English speaker who went
to Illinois (state in America) schools where they taught reading,
writing and arithmetic well, the choice is unconscious when I speak,
but when I write Manfred's technique is what I use.

SteveT

Steve Litt